Monday, February 14, 2011

Basketball Stats

Sam is 6 and in 1st grade this year. He is playing in the school basketball league and is having a great time. My parents regularly attend both boys’ games on Saturdays and my mom has been keeping Sean's stats during his 4th grade games because they play full basketball rules. Sean loves it and runs over after every game to get his stat sheet from grandma.

A few weeks ago, Sam says to me and grandma, "Umm why don't I get a sheet with marks on it after my games?" Mom and I looked at each other and we said to Sam, "ok we will keep your stats too." Well we had a really hard time coming up with categories for Sam's game because in his league the kids are matched up with a colored wristband with a similar level of player. They can't steal the ball. The refs rarely call travel or double dribble and usually whichever kid dribbles the ball up the court is the one to shoot. So what do we keep for stats? Here is what mom and I came up with for Sam's game:

Sam's Stats for 2/12/2011:

  • Rebounds 7
  • Assists 0
  • Shots 2/4
  • Injuries 4
  • Fell Down 8
  • Cheers 6
  • Water Breaks 1
  • Jump Balls 2
  • Guarding (body blocking picks) 11
Sam was thrilled with his stats after the game!

Here he is in all his glory. Notice how he looks at me like "Did you get that mom?" after his shot.

No comments: